Wednesday, February 17, 2010

"I'll reach the next stage to realize it all..." [Thoughts]

So I realized I haven't tagged a few of my posts. It's partly due to laziness, but for the most part I just didn't know what to tag them as when I don't have anything much to say. lol This post, though, has more substance to it than the last one. At least, that's what I hope.

The image above is from Sora no Woto (trans: Sound of the Skies). It's a pretty good anime. It doesn't have any real linearity in its story. It jumps around from story to story for each of the main characters. With that said, each episode has it's own narrative. Some episodes may be meaningful to some people while others might view them simply as entertainment. But isn't that what shows do in the first place? ;)

Now onto the thought-spilling! Like my post a while back with Chrno Crusade, I'll post the conversation between the two characters first. The blonde is Filicia, and the other character (whose face you can't see, but she has blue hair...) is Rio.

Filicia: Rio, you were just asking if there were any meaning in this world, right?
Rio: Yeah.
Filicia: Ever since I survived in the battle alone, I've pondered the same question. Why did I, alone, survive? Was there any meaning in it? And then I realized... There can't possibly be any meaning in this world.
Rio: ...
Filicia: (turning to Rio) But isn't that wonderful in it's own right?
Rio: (turns to Filicia in a bit of surprise)
Filicia: Because if there isn't any, we can find our own. And I found mine... My meaning in being alive. I don't want them to suffer the way I did.

It's a bit cheesy, but I've always wondered the same thing. What meaning is there in this world if we all ultimately meet an end of some sort? Death catches up to everyone in one way or another. Yet, we arguably all fear it. We don't know what lies beyond this life, so we try to extend our lives as long as we can. But why? Why extend one's life if the outcome is the same as ending one's short?

I've always felt that there was no true meaning to this world. Instead, we each live our lives because we can. We make the most out of it. That's why we make friends and try to have as many good times as possible. At the same time, we must also experience bad times. That's what it means to have lived. You can't have one without the other.

This scene wasn't important to me in the fact that Filicia had found her reason to live in this world. It was important to me in the fact that she said, "And I found mine." Not everyone lives for the same reason. Everyone has their own purpose that they feel is important. As such, they live their lives to fulfill that reason. It may take a long time for someone to find that one thing in their life that is meaningful enough to turn into the reason for their existence.

Life within itself is not important. It's how each person views and goes about his own life. It's about finding one's own personal reason(s) to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment