Monday, February 6, 2012

Truly Starstruck... (Part III)

February 2, 2012 - Fansigning Event


So since I have 750am class on Mondays and Thursdays, I slept over at my brother's place. The trek over to campus is a lot easier for me than if I were to go from my parents'. Also, because of 750am class, I couldn't personally go to the morning portion of the event. Quyen went and asked her housemate to go with her in my stead. Now, what morning portion, you ask? Well, read on, because this really had everyone in fumes.

The fansigning was held at Best Buy Union Square. The policy they had put up was that they were going to give out wristbands in the morning, at 8am, to people that bought The Boys. The wristbands were limited to 300. They designated the lineup time to start at 6am. The fansigning was to be at 7pm. Was that 6am lineup policy upheld at all?

In layman's terms? Hell-to-the-no. Quyen texted me at like 3am. I stayed up since that time so Quyen could update me and I could make sure that she was safe. They got out there around 430am, no thanks to some non-running buses. The first text I get when they get out there is "Wow its mad crowded". At this point I remember that my head dropped onto my pillow and I cursed whatever it was in me that thought people would abide by policies. I cursed what made me think that the fans wouldn't camp out from the previous night and what also made me think the Best Buy employees/security would actually prohibit said fans from lining up. The line rounded two corners of the block. -_- Danny was also on his way out there, and had a "WTH" reaction when I told him there was a massive line. At the end of the wait, Quyen and her housemate ended up being ~20 from being able to get in. Never mind that there was some drama about the line and wristband possibly not being legit any more, there was a ton of frustration.

But this wouldn't stop us (Quyen, Danny, and me) from trying to get into the fansigning anyway! At the very least, I would get my last stamp and be entered into the Super Fan Contest for a chance to meet the girls any way.

After my lab (which ended like an hour late -_-), us 3 headed out to Manhattan. Our first stop was KTown, where I replaced the SNSD calendar I bought the previous day because of the binding defect shown here:


Poor Seohyun~ :( We then had some more KyoChon for lunch. I love me some of dat Korean-style chicken. Mmmmm :D

We then returned to BestBuy. We walked around for a bit to kill some time. When inside the store, we met this guy named Horace, who Danny met earlier that morning when he was on line. We decided to all head over to the Starbucks on the next block to chill for a bit. Horace decided to head back to the place he was staying to bring a sign he made and (I assume) something to sign. He said he'd be back in like a half hour, but he never returned. :( Horace, if you're somehow reading this, sorry! We tried to wait a bit longer, but the crowd got HUGE from out of nowhere. When it was around 4pm, we headed back to the front of the store. The employees eventually came out and began to let people with wristbands in. For the people without wristbands, they said to wait around the side of the store and see what they could do for us. This is where things begin to look up.

Danny and I get stuck in a crowd of pushing people. I begin to panic a bit because Quyen was gone. As the crowd slowly pushed to the side, my phone was vibrating like mad. Quyen called me like 5 times, lol. When we finally made it to the side, Quyen was at the front of a crowd and waved me and Danny over. I was about to feel like crap for cutting, but a ton of people behind her had just cut the line also. If they were going to complain, us 3 would've turned around and flipped our shit. Begin the loooooong wait.

The wait must have been about 3 hours. During that 3 hours, us 3 had random chats. It was either among ourselves or with people around us. It was all just a blur. I only remember being cold. The nice thing was that Quyen was able to get us a really good spot - about 20 people back. It was less, though. I remember continuously counting how far back we were. I'm pretty sure us 3 were about 15-17 in line. There was also a line that was forming in front of us, crowding the door once again. One of the guys we were talking to actually got out of line to talk to the security about it. He talked to two. The first said that the fansign was over and people were leaving. Yeah, he clearly didn't have any idea of what he was talking about. The second said not to worry and that they would know.

A funny incident that happened was that Quyen apparently has a bit of a girlcrush on Soy, the founder of Soshified. Soy was walking around out front, getting stuff organized before she went inside. We ended up taking a picture with Soy when she was walking around:


8pm hits. A Best Buy employee comes out holding a big stack of A4 card stock and walks over to us. He says that additional people are going in, if they get the card stock. Cue the large amount of cheers. Also cue a good amount of people trying to cut in front of us. Us 3 start blocking them with our arms and actually pushed one guy out. He repeatedly said, "I'm sorry! I'm sorry!" Yeah, no you're not, or else you wouldn't have deliberately done it. Suck it. The guys in back of us and in front of us backed us up too. That's SONE teamwork right there.

As soon as I get the card stock in my hand, my heart starts racing. Quyen, Danny, and I briskly walk over to the front door. I get the inkling to turn around and laugh at all the suckers that tried to line up in front of the store but thought the better of it. I just remember exclaiming, "MOVING ON IN, BABY!" As us 3 walk up the stairs, we're all spazzing out. We get to the line and begin to spaz. I'm deciding whether I want the card stock signed or my calendar, but eventually decided on the card stock. As we get closer to the front, I begin to be able to see the girls.

My heart is probably beating at like 6.02*10^23 beats per minute at this point. I get to the front, and then get pointed over to the table. The first girl was Tiffany. The second was Hyoyeon. Third was Sooyoung. Fourth was Yoona. Fifth was Seohyun. Sixth was Sunny. Seventh was Taeyeon. Eighth was Yuri. (Unfortunately, Jessica had to go back to Korea early to film for her drama so she wasn't there.) It was all just a complete blur. I remember saying hi to each girl. I remember having a slight conversation with Seohyun as she remembered me from Letterman. They each thanked me for coming out. I remember when I got to Taeyeon, my face was shaking like hell. After Yuri signed, I remember taking a few steps, turning to all the girls, and bowing before I left. I had to suppress the urge to just shout out "SO NYUH SHI DAE SARANGHAEYOOOOOOO~" As the three of us were walking out, the employees were asking who got touched. We all said we got touched and they started cheering. Lol it was kinda funny.

When we got outside, I just remember walking in some random direction, settling down next to some random pole, and putting our card stocks into a folder for safekeeping. It was decided at that point that we would go to KTown and eat something. So we went back to KTown and settled on Korean BBQ. lol Danny and I paid for that meal and saw it as payment for Quyen getting us that awesome spot in line. I was just incredulous at what had happened. We took out our card stocks to look at them and the employees walking by recognized the girls. They were like, "Omo! So Nyuh Shi Dae!" They looked at the card stock and started talking in Korean to each other. Another one laughed at the Yoona folder I had. :)

And that was the awesome end to the awesome night. I didn't care that I had a whole prelab writeup to do for lab the next day. I didn't care that I had a bunch of stuff to do this weekend. I just didn't care. I saw nine angels. I was beyond happy. Thank you so much to SNSD for making the long trip back out to New York to greet your fans here. We will always support you. That's what SONEs do. :) Thank you so much to Soy, the volunteers, and Soshified for organizing this awesome event.


It's just so beautiful... *sniff*

No comments:

Post a Comment